Friday, April 16, 2010

Dream catcher !

I'm planning to undertake a new experiment - dream catching.
It's a simple thing and yet very unnatural. Let's not go into the scientific realm of dreams and keep it simple. Dreams are very interesting, but short lived. We never make a conscious effort to remember them.
Hence I thought it would be a good experiment to catch some of them live, and note them down. May be reading them later could be fun!
So far I've recorded half a dozen and I'm improvising it already. I've back-traced a few dream segments. Here are few of my goals -

1. I should be able to track down my dreams in detail - as much as possible. Minute details like colors, texture and faces of people whom I meet.
2. Try to remember more dreams, quantitatively. See how far I can go back in time.
3. Try to remain conscious while I'm dreaming. This sounds crazy, but it's possible. This would present a totally new point of view.
4. Finally, try to see if I can change the dreams.

While noting down the dreams, I plan to remain honest about it !

I have a long way to go, especially considering my wake up procedure. I tend to stay in bed for quite some time, and the dreams decay rapidly.
Never the less this sounds fun. I'm expecting some good results in a month or so.

Source of inspiration - "Surely you are joking Mr. Feynman", autobiography of Richard Feynman

6 comments:

Shubhada Rajam said...

sounds interesting kau...sometimes I recollect my dreams and results are surprising..at times I see many people I know n who are not at all related to each other...I and question the logic behind it in my dreams and I wake up...so can say that when u see urself applying logic within ur dream u r about to gain senses and wake up..

Neway..interesting topic..do let us know ur findings.. :)

Ram said...

@shubs - interesting point you make... I on the contrary just CANNOT apply logic to determine how the unrelated persons are appearing in the dream...cos for me while dreaming all the persons/events fit in.. they dont even seem impractical...

Maybe what you are able to do(question the illogic) is the first step to achieve what kau mentions.. which is "being conscious" while dreaming..

Daneshia said...

oweeeee! :D so this is mr. feynman inspired! :)
1. nice post title - reminded me of catcher in the rye :P
2. do u really get a lot of dreams?
3. have u noticed a pattern like what u think in the daytime shows up at night in the dreams?
4. looking fwd to u publishing ur results....

Abhishek Bhat said...

I agree with Dan...I've solved a problem on a take home exam in my dream

Mere Prof. ne literally neend haram kar di thi :P

K said...

@shubhada - yeah,I want to avoid that and stay tuned to the dreams!

@danni - sure, will "publish the results". I do see the pattern in dreams which is closely related to normal day events

swetha said...

Oh hey... This is a coincidence... I've been doing this for quite sometime... It's spooky and funny at the same time... i call my journal "My dream chronicles"(funny... i know)... Keep doing... And yeah let us know what you find out...

Song I liked : [Phir se udd chala (RockStar)]

Rockstar is special movie. It took some time to grow on and appreciate. Ranbir (JJ/Jordan) is an aspiring singer who's not so ser...